Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Girls' Day

I took the girls out for a girls' day last week during Spring Break.  What prompted this day?  I was over at Mom's, and we were looking down.  I saw that Emily's shoes were torn apart.  (What do they DO in PE at school????)  I knew that she had to have a pair of shoes, so I decided to make a fun day of it.

First, I was secretive.  "Girls, go get dressed.  We're going somewhere."  Now, I knew that the first word out of each of their mouths would be "Where?", and I wasn't disappointed. 

Somewhere special, just us girls," I said.  As I knew it would, this elicited giggles and whispers as they dressed and tried to guess where I was taking them.  I love surprising them when we go places.  It makes the every day more fun!

We got in the car, and headed towards Concord Mills.  I took them to lunch first.  They love to go to Cheddar's.  Cheddar's has a great big fish tank.  That's all it takes.  So, we pulled into the parking lot to the girls' cheering.  We had a delightful lunch, and talked about all sorts of things.  Here's a picture from the table:



Then, it was off to the mall.  I decided that I would let them choose the shoes that they wanted, as long as they fit into certain criteria (school requirements, price, and no lights!).  6 shoe stores later, the girls finally decided. On the same pair of shoes.  For those of you who have 2 kids of the same gender, you know how fun it is to try to keep up with which shoes are whose.  It's just not fun.  But... I had decided that they could choose the shoes they wanted, so I followed through with it.

I had promised them a carousel ride (their favorite part of going to Concord Mills) but the lady had apparently gone on break and wouldn't be back for 30 minutes.  The girls were so sad!  I took them to Sonic and told them that they could order any drink they wanted.  They both ordered Strawberry Sprites, which they claimed were fabulous.


Buying shoes (unless you're a woman) just isn't fun.  I'm tickled that I was able to turn a mundane errand into a fun afternoon.

1 comment:

Ken said...

those are my lil' ladies...