Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Terrible Three's ?

So, I have heard from everyone and their brother "Brace yourself for the Three's. You think the Terrible Two's are bad? That's NOTHING". So, I've braced myself. I've cringed, waiting for the horrible onset of more temper tantrums, etc.

The thing is, it's not as bad as last year. Emily seems to be improving. Sure, she still does bad things. She'll hit Bethany if she gets angry, and she cries when she doesn't get her way. BUT- she is learning to accept responsibility for her actions. She can tell you what she did wrong and why she shouldn't do it.

Plus, since she's able to communicate more effectively, we've had a much easier time. If she's on the verge of a crying fit, we'll ask her to stop crying and tell us what's wrong. Typically, that calms her down, she can tell us the problem, and we work together for a solution.

Last night, Ken asked me something, and I called him Honey. Emily looked at me quizzically and said, "What's 'Honey'?". I explained to her that I call Daddy Honey because it's a nice name, like when I call her "Emmy Poo" or "Baby" or "Sweetheart". She looked deep in thought, and then said, "Oh, I get it." LOL! I about died laughing.

So, my point is, I guess, don't listen to other people. Your child is different from your other child and different from every other child in the world. Don't let other people discourage you or your confidence in your child.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

1 comment:

Mandy said...

TOO funny! And....I just LOVE seeing "Monroe, NC" as your blogger location. ;)