Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Be Still

 “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, will be exalted in the earth!” Psalm 46:10

I was looking for this verse this morning.  I like to copy and paste straight from Scripture instead of relying on my ever-decreasing memory to write scripture down.  I was a little surprised at how many times the word "quiet" appears in scripture.  God tells us to be physically quiet, to be spiritually quiet, and to be actively quiet (listening to teaching).

I don't know why, but whenever I think about biblical times, I think that they couldn't possibly be as busy as we are.  After all, our lives are in hyper-drive, and we are in constant movement.  We have smart phones and iPads and Bluetooth and Internet.  We call, we text, we tweet, we IM, etc, etc, etc.  We drive cars at break-neck speed.  We fly in planes.  We're even starting to fly in space shuttles.  We are busy people.

I have to think, though, that people in biblical times were busy, too.  Of course, it was a different busy, but they were busy nonetheless.  Why else would God so many times tell us to be still?  Being busy is, I think, a human characteristic.  We feel fulfilled, we feel successful, when we're busy.

God tells us in this scripture to "Be still, and know that I am God."  What does that mean?  I'm no theologian, but I think God is telling us to settle our lives, our hearts, and our minds.  Sit back and remember that in our busyness, God is.  He is, was, and is yet to come.  He is Author and Creator of all.  Rejoice that He is in control!  Find peace that He is watching over you.  Exalt His name, and be thankful. 

So I'm doing that this morning.  I am rejoicing!  I am exalting His name.  Praise the Lord, for He is Good.

No comments: