Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Shots!

Is there a word that strikes more fear in the hearts of children (and their parents!) than "shot"?  Graham had his 18-month checkup this morning, and he had to have two shots.  I knew it was coming, and I was ready.  Before getting out of the car, I gave him a dose of Tylenol.  I let him walk himself from the lobby to the examination room.  I think this was the point in which he became suspicious.

All throughout his exam, he kept saying, "Mommy".  He knew- I know that he knew!  I was upbeat, trying hard to make him laugh while his height and weight were checked.  I let him play with my phone.  I tickled him.  I sang "If you're happy and you know it...".  Then, it came time for the shots.  I told him, "Graham, you may cry.  Mommy is definitely going to cry.  Let's just get through this quickly, okay?"  He looked at me blankly.  Not for long, though.


I asked his nurse (who is a wonderful nurse!) to give him the more painful one first.  The MMR shot went in, and I watched my sweet boy's face change from complacent to pain-filled to betrayed.  He looked at his sweet nurse as if she were the enemy, which I guess, to him, she was.


The thing is, he only cried for about 10 seconds!  I was so proud of him.  I couldn't believe how quickly he got over it (especially because that darned MMR shot HURTS!!).

While I was there, I picked up Bethany's immunization records for school.  Upon inspection, I realized that she is 2 shots short of being current.  I made that appointment today.

In two weeks, I have a feeling that I will be making another post about a very different shot day.  My Bethany is stubborn.  Stubborn.  And she's already let me know that she doesn't want any shots.  Oh, boy.



No comments: